A VDWS course enabling you to sail a boat and understand how it works. The course follows a syllabus set by the VDWS which covers safety, launching, returning and sailing upwind and downwind. We include a capsize drill to assure you of safety if renting from us afterwards.
VDWS Grundschein Dinghy
Course and session timing
How to book
- Wind awareness, rigging, parts of the boat
- Sailing across the wind, stopping (lying-to), speed control
- Basic tacking (turning the front of the boat through the wind)
- Basic gybing (turning the back of the boat through the wind)
- Sailing upwind and downwind
- Launching and landing
- Awareness of other water users and basic knowledge of the rules of the road
- Safety, personal buoyancy and weather conditions
Our courses run daily upon request.
See a course in progress
Please ensure that you read and understand our COVID-19 procedures and the terms and conditions of your course contract with us. Copies of these will be emailed with your course confirmation and are available, laminated, at the beach. You will be asked to sign to confirm that you have read and understood them.