Learn to set and use a gennaker and experience the thrills of racing speeds in a small dinghy, catamaran or keelboat. It’s an advanced course, over two days, covering launching, recovery and performance of spinnakers and gennakers, delivered by an advanced instructor and should involve different boat types. Students should already have the skills of a Level 3 adult course in the vessel they want to use for this course (dinghy, catamaran, keelboat).
RYA Sailing with spinnakers
Course and session timing
How to book
- Rigging including spinnaker and trapeze if fitted.
- Launching boat that have open transoms and racks.
- Sailing techniques and manoeuvres appropriate to spinnaker boats.
- Capsize recovery in relation to deployed spinnakers.
- Racing courses and techniques for spinnakers.
- The theory of apparent wind sailing.
- How hull shape affects performance.
- Sources for information on rig set up.
See a course in progress
Please ensure that you read and understand our COVID-19 procedures and the terms and conditions of your course contract with us. Copies of these will be emailed with your course confirmation and are available, laminated, at the beach. You will be asked to sign to confirm that you have read and understood them.