A 3-day RYA course leading you to sailing a boat independently and understanding the principles of better sailing and self-dependence. It combines RYA Basic Skills (Level 2) with RYA Better Sailing (Level 3) and so requires experience equivalent to RYA Start Sailing (Level 1) before beginning this course. The course covers safety, launching, returning and sailing upwind and downwind on all points of sailing, in light and strong winds as well as different methods of recovery from a capsize.
RYA Basic Skills and Better Sailing combined
Course and session timing
How to book
all elements of a Basic Skills course plus:
- Rig set up and sail controls to prepare the boat according to different weather conditions and sea states
- Leave and return to a beach, jetty or mooring, including windward and leeward shore in simple conditions
- Better Sailing Techniques and Manoeuvres – adjusting the centre board, sail trim, crew weight and route to sail depending on conditions
- More efficient sailing developing a more skilful technique in different classes of boat and using tell-tales
- Taster elements from the advanced modules such as: basic gennaker handling, trapezing or starting a race
- Advanced sailing theory and background
- Basic meteorology – Beaufort Wind Scale and awareness of changing weather conditions
See a course in progress
Please ensure that you read and understand our COVID-19 procedures and the terms and conditions of your course contract with us. Copies of these will be emailed with your course confirmation and are available, laminated, at the beach. You will be asked to sign to confirm that you have read and understood them.