An RYA course to develop your skills and prepares you for sailing without an instructor on board. The course follows a syllabus set by the RYA which covers safety, launching, returning and sailing upwind and downwind . A capsize drill is included.
RYA Basic Skills (Dinghy)
Course and session timing
How to book
- Rigging according to weather conditions and can reefing ashore
- 5 Essentials: Sail Setting, Balance, Trim, Course Made Good and correct use of the Centreboard
- Sailing around a short course using all points of sailing and crewing skills
- Leaving and returning to a beach, jetty or mooring
- Coming alongside a moored boat
- Understanding of the ‘rules of the road’
- Aware of lee shore dangers and sailing in close company with others
- Man overboard recovery
- Capsize Recovery
- Race courses and starting procedures
- Sailing Theory and Background
- The dangers of hypothermia and the importance of first aid training, particularly cardio pulmonary resuscitation
- The Beaufort Wind Scale
- Importance of personal safety, clothing and buoyancy, boat buoyancy and basic equipment
- Emergency Equipment and Precautions
Our courses run daily upon request.
See a course in progress
Please ensure that you read and understand our COVID-19 procedures and the terms and conditions of your course contract with us. Copies of these will be emailed with your course confirmation and are available, laminated, at the beach. You will be asked to sign to confirm that you have read and understood them.