Our own 6-hour course demonstrating how to sail a catamaran upwind and downwind and launch and land. There will be plenty of opportunity to take the helm with an instructor onboard at all times. Most theory is on-the-water and at the end of the course you can use this module as a key part of a formal course from the VDWS or RYA, paying the difference in costs.
ESS Introduction to catamarans
Moving quickly from a safety briefing we will get on the water and demonstrate basic techniques. You will be encouraged to take the helm as soon as you feel comfortable.
Course and session timing
Usually two 3-hour sessions which can both be on the same day, if you have the energy. Make sure you are ready and changed into sailing clothing (or wetsuits) before the start of your sessions. This will maximise sailing time.
A wonderful course suiting all and requiring no previous experience
How to book
Contact our office by phone or email or complete an enquiry form by pressing ‘Check Availability’.
- Wind awareness, rigging, parts of the boat
- Sailing across the wind, stopping (lying-to), speed control
- Basic tacking (turning the front of the boat through the wind)
- Basic gybing (turning the back of the boat through the wind)
- Sailing upwind and downwind
- Launching and landing
- Awareness of other water users and basic knowledge of the rules of the road
- Safety, personal buoyancy and weather conditions
Buoyancy aids and wetsuits are provided for all course attendees. Bring a change of clothes and suitable footwear such as old trainers for sailing.
See a course in progress
Please ensure that you read and understand our COVID-19 procedures and the terms and conditions of your course contract with us. Copies of these will be emailed with your course confirmation and are available, laminated, at the beach. You will be asked to sign to confirm that you have read and understood them.