Our own 3-hour course demonstrating how to leave and return and how to sail a keelboat upwind and downwind. There should be an opportunity to take the helm, with an instructor onboard at all times. After the taster you can choose from our own and RYA courses, paying the difference in costs. Minimum of two students, maximum three.
ESS Keelboat Taster Plus
Course and session timing
How to book
- Wind awareness, rigging, parts of the boat
- Sailing across the wind, stopping (lying-to), speed control
- Basic tacking (turning the front of the boat through the wind)
- Basic gybing (turning the back of the boat through the wind)
- Sailing upwind and downwind
- Leaving and returning to port
- Awareness of other water users and basic knowledge of the rules of the road
- Safety, personal buoyancy and weather conditions
Courses start daily upon request
See a course in progress
Please ensure that you read and understand our COVID-19 procedures and the terms and conditions of your course contract with us. Copies of these will be emailed with your course confirmation and are available, laminated, at the beach. You will be asked to sign to confirm that you have read and understood them.